Scott Wegener, WCPO, May 20, 2015, Updated May 21, 2015
EXCERPTS FROM THE ARTICLE:
A Northern Kentucky high school student is claiming in a lawsuit that a flood of sewage on a football field caused him to catch a staph infection.
McWilliams’ elbow was injured during the game, and he was infected with methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) bacteria, according to his lawsuit. That August, before the start of the football season, a rainstorm caused the field to flood with raw sewage.
“The field was cleaned professionally then,” Brandon Voelker, the attorney for Newport Independent Schools, said. “Then once, after that happened, Newport did its routine maintenance on the field.”
The damage was so extensive, there are still signs posted warning people to stay away from it.
Newport Catholic denied any wrongdoing or negligence. The school filed a cross-claim against the Newport Independent Schools Board of Education, with which they contract to use the field and is responsible for its maintenance, they claimed. They also filed a cross-claim against the Motz Group of Cincinnati, which had been hired to install the field and clean it after the flood.